Friday, July 22, 2011

Amethyst Gaze: A Tutorial

Hello, everyone! For the last couple weeks I have been a thousand or so miles from the apartment I call home. As a result of my tendencies to pack light, I have with me only a small bag of makeup. I’ve been wearing the same look for the last few days, and I think it’s absolutely gorgeous! This look is appropriate for day but can also look dramatic for a night on the town. If you have eyes with specks of green, the purple shades in this look will really bring them forward and make your eyes shine! However, this look is beautiful in a colorful and feminine way on every eye color.

Because of the purple tones, I pair this look with a soft and natural blush (I’ve been using Covergirl’s Cheekers blush in Natural Twinkle) and a cool-toned pink lipgloss (Revlon’s Colorburst lipgloss in Orchid). Because the rest of the face is so neutral, I decided to focus only on the eyes in this post.

The beautiful girl in this tutorial is my little sister! She’s not fond of wearing purple eyeshadow, but even she loved the look once it was done. That makes me feel great about my handiwork. :)


Products used: Wet n’ Wild’s ColorIcon trio in Silent Treatment, Maybelline’s ExpertWear duo in Lasting Lilac, Revlon’s single matte eyeshadow in Rich Sable, Hard Candy’s Take Me Out Liner pencil in Geisha, Maybelline’s Line Express eyeliner in black, an eyelash curler, and Maybelline’s The Falsies mascara in black.

After priming your eyelids, sweep the taupe shade of Wet n’ Wild’s Silent Treatment trio all over the eyelids, through the crease, and under the lower lashline. Taking a fluffy blending brush, use the sheer pink browbone shade from the same palette to soften any lines and highlight the browbone and inner corners of the eyes. Once these steps are completed, your eyes will look very soft and almost undefined. But don’t worry! The point is to have a soft eyeshadow as a backdrop for the dramatic eyeliner. Don’t bother with dramatic creases, let your lashes do the talking once your eyes are complete.

My sister’s eyes with the taupe and highlight shade from Silent Treatment

Here’s where the fun comes in. Take Hard Candy’s pencil eyeliner in Geisha and line the upper and lower lash lines. Take a black eyeliner (I used Maybelline’s Line Express) and line the outer third of the upper and lower lash lines. Blend the liner into the lashes, then pull out Maybelline’s eyeshadow duo in Lasting Lilac.

Many of the colors and items used in this look can be substituted with other similar items. However, I really think this eyeshadow duo is completely unique! The lighter of the two shades is a pretty soft and shimmery lavender, but the color that takes the cake is the darker purple. It’s a sheer lilac with a blue duo-chrome finish. When I originally bought this duo, I was disappointed by the sheer colors, but I must say over an eyeliner is becomes extremely unique!

Back on track, take a smudger brush and press the darker purple shadow over the eyeliner all around the eyes. Take a pencil brush and press the lavender shade into the inner corners of the eye for an extra pop. This process of setting the liner with eyeshadow is what makes the look so beautiful!

My sister after applying the purple eyeliner and the darker shadow from Maybelline’s Lasting Lilac. This picture does no justice to the vibrancy of the colors!

To finish off the eyes, curl your lashes and apply a few coats of your favorite mascara. I used Maybelline’s The Falsies.  To frame your beautiful peekers, make sure your brows are softly defined. I used Revlon’s matte eyeshadow and pressed into the brows with a smudger brush before combing out the hairs with an eyebrow brush.


You’re done!

My sister’s eyes look feminine and sultry at the same time. It’s a very versatile look! I typically do my makeup different every day, so considering how many days in a row I’ve worn it testifies to how beautiful it looks in person.

Thanks for reading! If you try this look out, tell me how it works for you! Enjoy!

愛,  Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment